Sunday, October 29, 2006

Road Tripping in Afghanistan

After noticing this post from Common Dreams today, I went back and listened to Renee Montagne's peppy exchange with Scott Simon regarding her trip to Bamiyan, Afghanistant -- where the ancient Buddha statues were tragically destroyed by the Taliban in 2001.

Montagne relates that her trip to Bamiyan took 10 hours and Simon notes that his took only 6 hours. Wouldn't it be more valuable for NPR reporters to try and reach the site of alleged NATO bombings of civilians? Or at least try to talk to witnesses of the event who are not US/NATO spokespersons? The answer is obvious.

1 comment:

Porter Melmoth said...

I'm glad you covered this one for me, Mytwords. Listening to Baby Boomers tinkering around with 'trophy travel' is one of the things about my own generation that I can least appreciate. Pinwheels, fluttering in the breeze.