- As’ad ‘Eissa Radwan Tafesh, 65, farmer.
- Marwan Sameer ‘Ouda, 22, farmer.
- Sa’id Mustafa al-Sammouni, 50, farmer.
- Ayman Fadel Malaka, 35, car trader.
- ‘Abdul Salam ‘Atiya Abu Laban, 19, student.
Melissa Block on Tuesday's ATC: "In the Gaza Strip today the Israeli military killed at least 18 Palestinians, most of them armed militants..."
Westervelt goes on to say, ""15 of those killed - Gaza hospital officials say - were gunmen...."
The names of the "militants," the "gunmen" were:
- Rami Talal Farahat, 30.
- ‘Aahed Sa’dallah ‘Ashour, 27.
- Mahmoud ‘Ata Abu Laban, 21.
- Hussam Mahmoud al-Zahhar, 22.
- Saleem ‘Abdul Haq al-Mdallal, 20.
- Mohammed Majdi Hejji, 20.
- Sakher Saleem Zwayed, 27.
- Mustafa Yahia Selmi, 20.
- Mos’ab Saleem Selmi, 21.
- ‘Abdullah Taleb Salem, 23.
- Mohammed Sabri Hana, 20.
- Khamis Abu Sawawin, 25.
At first I just wanted to scream at the radio. Stop calling them militants. Why don't you call all Israeli settlers "militants." Or every Israeli who is in the military or the reserves? Don't they shoot back when someone invades their homes, their cities? Then I just started thinking about the reality of 18 people killed in one day. Look at their names, their ages (14 are 30 years old or younger). Who are these people? I wondered what they have experienced at the checkpoints or in detention? How many of them were husbands, only sons, the sole breadwinner of the family?
Yes, most of them were armed "militants," except for a car trader, a student, and three farmers. But they were Palestinian and that doesn't count for much...