Saturday, May 03, 2008

The Barbaro Cult

With the Kentucky Derby looming I almost jokingly posted a "Barbaro Watch" this week, but I thought, "Come on don't be so snarky." Well, what do you know, this morning Scott Simon and NPR are back on the Saint Barbaro obsession.

You think I exaggerate? Take a look at the saturation coverage NPR gave Barbaro shortly after his demise. They weren't done with it, either; they followed it up with a Name Barbaro's Brothers Contest. Somehow, I missed even more Barbaro coverage last May (notice the long list of "Related NPR stories" beneath the summary of the report).

3 comments:

Porter Melmoth said...

I wonder how many Iraqis had limbs blown off at that recent suicide bombing at a wedding.

Anonymous said...

Oh Porter, that wasn't the question!

(snarkasm off)

Porter Melmoth said...

Yeah, I guess NPR can't be 'depressing' all the time. Better to have Barbaro die for our sins.

I get a bleak kick though, out of hearing 'This is NPR News' after some creamy puff pastry piece.

Oh, I forget, it's our world - NPR's just trying to expand it. If we'd only just pay attention!