Tuesday, November 27, 2007

It's an Ad, Ad, Ad, Ad World


Confession: I have bought a cup of Starbucks coffee, and I've even eaten a Dunkin' donut - but it doesn't mean I'm interested in hearing some soul-sucking ad "guru" named Leslie Bielby chumming with Steve-aroo Inskeep about her brilliant ad campaign that's making Dunkin' Donuts a choice brand...

Morning Edition gives 4 minutes and 4 seconds of airtime so Inskeep can point out that "even if I were the Starbucks kind of person that you describe, I'd rather think of myself as the guy in the hard hat, the hard working sort. I'd rather think of myself that way even if I wasn't that way."

Wouldn't he though...

4 comments:

Porter Melmoth said...

Boy, where are Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Jonathan Winters, Mickey Rooney, Buddy Hackett and ETHEL MERMAN (etc., etc.,) when we need them?

Anonymous said...

(holds nose to mimic tone)
"Support for NPR comes frummmmmmmm... (fill the latest trendy product in the blank space provided)"

Cookie-cutter broadcasting at its most appauling.

Anonymous said...

CORRECTION: "appalling"

(mea culpa)

Anonymous said...

(sorry, one more bunny hop)

Wonder if Steve Chimneysweep imagines that he's Bob Edwards, when really he's not?